Tuesday, February 8, 2011

A New American Adventure

Regis University

As many of you know, Allison, our girls, and I drove round-trip to Omaha, NE, last spring, well this year, I am taking the adventure alone. Well, I have traveling buddies, but I don't have Allison and the girls with me. I rode the train to Denver, CO, for an interview at Regis University with my dad. Our train ride took about 55 hours, but we had a blast! We met people from all over the country with all sorts of occupations, and we enjoyed how beautiful our country is. If you have never taken the train through Colorado, I suggest that you do, because it is one of the most beautiful parts of the country I have ever seen.

There are several differences between riding on a train and flying in a plane, and some of them are time, you can sit just about anywhere from your seat, the cafe, the diner, and the observation car, and even though you can keep to yourself, you are close enough to other people to start many conversation with people from all over the world. We met people from almost every state in the western United States, and we met people from Europe and New Zealand. One gentleman we met was taking a complete tour of the United States on trains, and was heading back home to the Midwest. The opportunity to meet people makes the train such an adventure, but some of that adventure includes meeting some strange people too. As I stated before, you are able to keep to yourself and avoid those people you don't want to meet, but those people are rare and won't ruin your adventure. The biggest difference between a plane and a train, however, is seeing what you traverse instead of flying over it.

My time at Regis University was amazing! I loved the campus and the pharmacy program is fabulous! I believe that the interview and two page essay I had to write went very well, and I am anxious to see the results of this interview. My travels, however, are not complete, and I took a bus from Denver, CO (through Colorado Springs, CO) to Raton, NM. I then took a train from Raton, NM to Flagstaff, AZ. The scenery was again amazing, and the landscape was mostly covered in snow the entire train ride. My dad did not accompany me on this leg of the journey, he flew home from Denver while I enjoyed more of our country.
Once in Flagstaff, AZ, I walked from the train station to the Hotel Monte Vista where I met my mom. The next day we drove from Flagstaff through Sadona to her home. But, that adventure will have to wait, as do I. I have another interview to attend, but this interview is at the University of Arizona on Friday. Until my next blog, be sure to enjoy your family, love your family, and hug your family.



Gregg

No comments:

Post a Comment