Thursday, February 10, 2011

Sedona The Beautiful!


So, I took an Amtrak train from home through Sacramento, CA to Denver, CO for my interview at Regis University. I then took a Greyhound bus from Denver, CO to Raton, NM where I caught another Amtrak train to Flagstaff, AZ. Flagstaff is a quant little town in northern Arizona that has many old buildings that house fun little shops. Our hotel, the Hotel Monte Vista, was built in 1927 and housed at least two bars which could be heard till at least 2:00 AM on a Saturday night (or morning I guess). The next morning, my mom and I took a side trip through Sedona, AZ, where there are so many beautiful red mountains towering above the road. The small little town of Sedona was full of fun shops and many tour companies, including one that offered to excort you through the rough terrain in pick Jeeps.

My mom and I walked through so many shops, talked with many of the locals, and were given advice on where to explore during our Sedona visit. Just standing in the middle of town, you are able to experience one of the greatest gifts God has given us on this beautiful Earth. The red mountains tower above the town in so many unique formations, that you can't help yourself but to just stand and stare (then turn slowly turn in circles and stare some more). There are many great resturants in the area and many resorts where you can stay and see these spectacular mountains and have the weekend to experience the town. You have opportunities to sit and enjoy another person's company over a glass of ice tea or a beer, or you can find hiking trails to get some exercise and experience the mountains in an entirely different fashion. When walking through the town of Sedona, you come across many different statues - some are bronze, some are painted, some are big, and some are small. The street art helps to solidify what the town of Sedona is: a great family vacation spot.





The area of Sedona that my mom and I choose to explore was the Chapel of the Holy Cross. It is a small Catholic Chapel built into the red rock, and you are able to go into the chapel to pray or visit the gift shop downstairs where we saw so many beautiful and amazing things to buy. Many of the items you can buy are made from the red rock itself. There are many different navity scenes ranging from traditional to a Native American version, and we even found some Jewish items, including a menorah. From the Chapel, you can see many of the red mountains around you, because the Chapel is much higher than the highway that runs between and around the mountains. Plus, you have many high peaks directly above you when you're standing with your back to the Chapel. The views are amazing, and the town is fabulous. I highly recomend a visit to Sedona, AZ, and I hope that you have enjoyed the photos I have taken of our trip.
One final piece of information when you visit the Chapel of the Holy Cross in Sedona is this, pay attention to the last house you pass when you get to the Chapel. If you miss it, you will get a great view of it when you stand next to this little piece of stone artwork next to the entrance of the chapel. I have a picture of the house you will see - it is HUGE! It has its own pond and gazebo in the lower portion of the yard. It has a four car garage. You can't really see from this picture, but his help has their own home on the back corner of the property. Who own's this house? It was just purchased for $25 million dollars by the actor Nic Cage. We didn't see him, but his house is large and has amazing views of Sedona.



Now that I have visited Sedona, my mom and I have laid low for a few days, but we are heading out of town tonight to get a clear view of the stars. Tomorrow, however, I must head to Tucson, AZ, where I will have my second interview in a week, and then I will finally head home to my wife and daughters. I have missed them so much, and will be thankful to return home.

Gregg

No comments:

Post a Comment