Monday, March 14, 2011

Born Too Soon


I wrote this poem when Madison was in the NICU (Neonatal Intensive Care Unit) at Swedish Hospital sometime when she was about ten weeks old. For those of you that don't know, Madison was born around 27 weeks gestation at 1 lb 6 oz. Her lungs just starting to flutter and not yet able to breathe on her own, and nurses and doctors were doing everything they can to save her life just minutes after she is born. This poem is about the day Madison was born, and I followed Madison to the NICU from the delivery room after Allison had an emergency Caesarian. I hope you enjoy the poem about my first hour or so with Madison.

Born Too Soon

Little Miracle born too soon, so small on the table
Three nurses working on you
They stuff a tube down your throat
Don't worry Honey, it's to help you breathe
So fragile, I can't pick you up
To hold you or kiss you
Your skin is transparent
I can see all your insides
You're not expected to make it
No worries, I've been talking with the Man upstairs
You look up to me
Weighed down with tubes and wires
Your gaze warms me with the love you give
You're just happy to be out
Sharing a special private moment with your Daddy
Even though the hospital is bustling about
That bond we share will never be broken
Because the love we share is eternal
And because of God's mercy and your hard work
We'll share our lifetime together

Gregg

No comments:

Post a Comment