Thursday, March 3, 2011

The Day I Died



I was reminded today about a poem that I wrote about Madison when she was in the NICU at Swedish Hospital about 9&1/2 years ago, so I thought that I would post it. It's a little long and emotional, but it's a good reminder for me about how fragile she was and how far she has come.


The Day I Died

The day I died,
Started like any other,
My Mommy and Daddy were here to visit me
They're very nice, they're here all the time

I'm only two pounds, if that
My lungs don't work right, I can't eat
I have a tube down my throat
But, I still have my binky
I still have my Mommy and Daddy

I was very excited
My Mommy and Daddy were going to be there
They were going to see me be weighed in
I'm only two pounds, but it takes five people to move me
Two nurses, a respiratory therapist, and others I don't remember now

I see my Mommy and Daddy
They look so proud
My people pick me up to move me, on the count of three
They're going to put me on the scale
My Mommy and Daddy are going to see how big I've gotten
They're going to be so proud

Then, the looks on their faces scares me
Bells and sirens go off
I've never heard these noises before
They're not my normal alarms
My Mommy and Daddy get pushed out of the way
As more of my people come rushing in

I can't see my Mommy and Daddy
My people are in the way
Then I see them, with tears in their eyes
They look scared
My people are all around me, what can I do

My people are playing with the tube in my throat
As things go gray
I hear my people talking about me
They're saying that I'm blue, then white
Then... I fall asleep

When I wake, my people are pushing on my chest
It hurts real bad
They're talking about my oxygen levels, blood pressure and stuff
They stop pushing on my chest
I see someone behind the front line, with paddles in her hands
She is one of my people, and she says she's ready

One of my people, one of my doctors
She says that she's not needed now, but stay close by
Those paddles scare me
What do they do
I'm only two pounds
Please be gentle

As I look around at my people
There are more than my fingers and toes
They're all looking at me, touching me
My doctor then finishes playing with my tube
It really hurts to swallow
I can't find my binky

Some of my people are starting to leave
One by one
They don't look as scared any more
But, I still have my five people
Around me, helping me

"Can you get my Mommy and Daddy?"

They were scared
They were pushed out into the hall
I just wanted them to be proud of me
I'm getting so big
I'm two pounds now, at least, maybe more

I want them to hold me
I want to be hugged
But they can't, I'm only two pounds
My lungs are too fragile
I can't breath on my own

My Mommy and Daddy are coming back in
They don't look so scared
I still see that they're crying
But, it's different, some how

They reach through my wires and tubes and under my plastic blanket
They rub my head, I know
They love me unconditionally
They will always be there for me
And right now, they're hugging me with their hearts

And on that fateful night
The day that I died
Something changed inside me
I do not know what

It may be the love my Mommy and Daddy showed
It might have helped to see my people work so hard
Or the people praying 'round the world
I know that I still have a long journey and many battle ahead
But I know that I need to change this title to:
The Day I Started Fighting Back


Gregg

No comments:

Post a Comment