Monday, March 7, 2011

When Your Story Is Motivating

Today I was working in another pharmacy branch of our chain, and a lady walked in with her two boys (one of whom was very sick). I recognized her immediately, but it took me a few minutes to figure out how I know her. When she returned about 20 minutes later, I said, "I know you." She told me that she worked in the library at our local community college.

We talked for a few more minutes about how I was taking my prerequisites for pharmacy school, how I am finally starting pharmacy school this August, and how I last went to the community college about a year and a half ago. She then looked confused and said, "But you seem so much more familiar to me like you were at school last quarter." I then explained how I was the guy that brought my daughters with me to the library and reserved one of the study rooms 2-3 times per week and on Saturdays.

Her face then lit up. "We talk about you all the time!" she exclaimed. "When possible returning students come and visit us at the college," she explained, "and they tell me that they are concerned about returning to school because they have small kids at home, I tell them your story. I inspire these people based on your success at school and how you brought your girls to the library with you. And now, I can tell them that you are entering a pharmacy program this August." I was blown away. I always felt that bringing the girls to the library with me helped me stay focused on why I was going back to school, and whenever I needed a break, we would draw on the white board or play tic-tac-toe. I never imagined that my story would inspire people. My story of returning to school is only half complete, so I am anxious to see what the story second half will tell.

1 comment:

  1. oh thats great to hear you inspired so many people. you start school? congrats you guys!

    ReplyDelete