Sunday, March 20, 2011

The Mysterious Phone Call

When I was getting my hair cut at Great Clips about two weeks ago, something funny happened. For those of you that know me well, I tend to preface my stories with a little background, and I will not only do that here, I will do it twice. First, I find many things in life funny, and I therefore laugh easily. Second, I am reminded of an Adam Sandler audio skit where he plays an old man answering a prank phone call from some young boy played by an actor named Steve Koren. When Sandler answers the phone, the boys say something prank-ish and hang up. The next five minutes or so is Sandler talking to a dead line with lines like, "Hullo." "Who is this?!" "For God's sake. Answer me!"

So, with those two things said, here is my story from Great Clips:

When I am seated at my chair, an elderly gentleman walks in, checks in, and sits down. About two minutes later, the Great Clips' phone rings. That's right, the store phone rings. The lady cutting my hair starts to walk to the front of the store to answer the phone. After the first ring, the old man grabs his cell phone, puts it to his ear, and says, "Hullo. Who's this? Hullo! Answer me! Who's this?!" The phone rings again, "Damn phone! How do I answer this thing?!" He puts the phone to his ear again as the lady cutting my hair starts walking slower. "Hullo. Hullo! I can't hear a damn thing! Speak up! For God's sake. Answer me!" The phone rings again. "How the HELL does this thing work?! Hullo! I can't hear you! Speak up! Hullo!"

"Thank you for calling Great Clips, how may I help you," says the lady who is cutting my hair.

"Ain't that damn embarrassing," says the old man. "It was the store's phone the whole time." He then picked up his magazine and started reading like nothing happened. The lady walked back to my chair quietly laughing and said, "I just couldn't help myself."

No comments:

Post a Comment