Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Skipping through the Orange Grove...

When I was visiting my mom in Arizona, we went on many adventures, but one of the greatest things that we did was pick oranges, tangerines, and grapefruits. My mom lives in a retirement community just outside of Phoenix, and she has many nice neighbors that always say hi when you see them walking past. In my mom's backyard, she has two orange trees, one tangerine tree, and one grapefruit tree, and every morning, it was my job to go out back and pick a couple grapefruits for my breakfast and a bunch of oranges for our fresh squeezed juice.

Now when I go to the store and see oranges on sale for $2.50/lb I can't believe my eyes! I picked a couple of pounds of oranges every morning, and the morning I left, I picked over fifty pounds of oranges so my mom could squeeze and freeze fresh orange juice. It took me about 30 minutes or so to pick that many oranges, so why does it cost so much money to buy them? At $2.50/lb, I picked about $125 worth of oranges in about 30 minutes, and I'm not very skilled at picking either. Do you think we picked all the oranges from the trees? Not even close! I picked less than 10% of the oranges on one tree. I love oranges and will continue to buy them (somewhat reluctantly) at the store, but I will always remember those two oranges trees, the tangerine tree, and the grapefruit tree that sat quietly in the my mom's backyard, providing shade, and a free and tasty breakfast.

Gregg

No comments:

Post a Comment