Thursday, March 31, 2011

Preemie Stats

I have wanted to write a book about our first two months in the NICU with Madison, but every time I start writing about her birth, I start crying. Thinking about how small and fragile she was breaks my heart, but seeing her now almost ten years old and healthy has warmed my spirit enough to actually get a little serious about writing. Truth is, I believe that Allison will be the only one that reads the book, but I want to write it anyway. If it does get out there for others to read, then hopefully it helps or encourages others. As I started looking into some information about Madison's birth, I found her measurements and other information at and around birth. So, here they are:

Weight: 0.628 kg (1 lb 6 oz)
Length: 30.5 cm (12.2 inches)
Number of Diagnoses by discharge: 28
Number of Surgeries: 1 (laser eye surgery to correct ROP)
Number of Chest Tubes: 2 (both in left lung at the same time)
Oxygen Assistance through 1st birthday
Respiratory Distress Syndrome
Chronic Lung Disease
Failure to Thrive
Synagis given as RSV immunoprophylaxis
Blood Transfusions (NINE TIMES)
8-9 rounds of antibiotics or antivirals (some overlap with others hard to keep straight)

Most of this happened by three months of age. Once again, I find it hard to write, but I'm hoping by writing this on the blog I will find the strength to express our experiences while in the NICU at Swedish Hospital.

No comments:

Post a Comment